Oil diffusers can be incredibly toxic to dogs and cause a host of medical issues, resulting in large vet bills and potential illness. This is following a case of a dog in New Zealand falling victim to illness following inhalation from a diffuser, with the story going viral worldwide. Marianne Whyte from New Zealand posted to social media to issue an urgent warning to fellow dog owners after her dog was “poisoned” by an oil diffuser.
Posting in 2019, Marianne wrote: “Saturday night I got home late and my dog didn’t recognise me. Being a nanny, I thought I woke him up and he was having a night terror. “Sunday he was still acting weird. I realised that I had been running my new diffuser and decided to turn it off. Sunday afternoon he was feeling better.”
The following day however, the dog sitter informed Marianne that her dog was refusing to come out from under the bed. Marianne said: “I took him to the emergency vet. It turns out that the tea tree oil I was using in the diffuser is toxic for dogs.”
Dog experts Kennel Store have written an expert comment detailing which oils are toxic to dogs, and the complications that can occur if inhaled.
“Whilst essential oils are a treat for humans, dogs can become incredibly unwell and decline rapidly.
Essential Oils Toxic To Dogs
Symptoms of Essential Oil Poisoning
What To Do If You Suspect Essential Oil Ingestion
Medical attention from your vet is essential and getting there quickly allows treatment to begin swiftly and can give your dog the best chance of making a full recovery.”
City Dog Expert is Europe’s number one resource for urban dogs.
As featured in Wall Street Journal, New York Press,
The Sun, Chicago Tribune & Financial Times